Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 31 - I'm home!!


I’m absolutely brimming with emotions today.  All of the jovens and interns spent last night dancing again.  Meringue and Salsa are my new favorite things!  Several of the interns were flying out very early this morning, so they had to be ready to go to the airport at 3am.  I had planned on sleeping, but my body had other ideas.  So after sending that group off, I returned to the room and laid in bed for a while and finally just gave up and showered and finished packing at around 3:30am.  Finally at around 5am I fell asleep, only to be up again at nearly 7 because our room was absolutely freezing and none of us could sleep.  At 7:30 it was time to get out of bed and drag our suitcases downstairs and over to the main building.  

Many of the jovens and other friends we’d made on campus came to say goodbye to the 9 of us flying out this morning.  There were tears, hugs, and laughter everywhere you looked.  Saying goodbye to the people who have become your family is not something that any of us wanted to do, but we all know that there is a mission field waiting for us back at home too. 

The bags were packed into the Urvan and the final goodbyes were said, we were off!  Rodo (staff member taking us to the airport) had me jump out of the van to open the gate, and then decided it would be funny to drive off.  Chasing down an Urvan was not on my to do list this morning, but they all got a good giggle at me running and yelling all the way down the street. 

Flight #1 to Houston went smoothly, there were 4 other B2B interns on the flight with me, we weren’t able to sit together, but were able to be together when we got off the plane.  Customs went smoothly and after saying goodbye to 2 of the interns, Casey, Renee, and I headed to McDonalds for some lunch.  Saying goodbye to them was hard because it meant from then on I was by myself, and that my Mexico journey truly is over.

Flight #2 almost felt like being back in Mexico when the attendant came over the intercom and said, “Ladies and gentlemen we seem to be having problems with the air conditioner, so the ride to Indianapolis is gonna be a little toasty.”  I’m a seasoned vet at dealing with broken AC’s….the other passengers however, look like they are going to pass out.

I arrived at the airport in Indy around 6:45pm and couldn’t run towards my family fast enough!!  Mom, dad, Tanner, Michel, Sarah, Jacob, and Dan were all waiting for me when I got there.  Jacob told me that we needed to check to the sign to see where my baggage was gonna come out at, and mom and dad told me that they had to get me something just like they had a sign in the hotel for my 18th birthday this past year, but that they had to do better this time.  I turned the corner and my Granna was sitting right in front of the sign!  I started crying all over again.  It turns out that she flew in from Florida on Friday to stay with our family, and only has a one way ticket, so she’ll be spending several weeks here!

We all came back to the house where Italian beef sandwiches and pizza were waiting for us.  The rest of the night was spent telling stories and appreciating the little things about home.

No comments:

Post a Comment